My photo
Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
My favorite thing is to ride my bike. This is where I am most inspired and creative. Oh, same for when i am about to go to bed as well... that really pisses me off! I have started keeping a notebook by the side of my bed because you never remember the ideas in the morning! Trying my hand at poetry. It's a great way to get shit off your chest!

Saturday 13 March 2010

Feature writing... Modern Warfare 2

Infinity Ward has done it. Alex Gibson immerses himself in the masterpiece that is Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and asks why this computer game has become a worldwide phenomenon.
“Oh my God, what a Noob. How can anyone sponge so many bullets?”
I’m screaming at 42 inches of flat screen. Total darkness around me, chair placed directly in front of the TV with the surround sound resonating to my bones.
I am there. I have arrived at the forefront of gaming culture. I now understand why this is the biggest and fastest selling game of all time, with 28 million copies sold to date. That equates to almost half the British population!
“Get out of my way! You’re gonna get me killed! Move, MOVE!”
I’m still screaming. On the edge of my seat. Controller gripped so tight my hands ache.
This game has got me by the balls and it shows no sign of relenting its vice-like grip. Nothing has ever grabbed my attention for this long. Three months and I’m still playing five to six hours a day.
Fail. Epic fail. Camper. Just a few of the phrases that have entered my vocabulary, keeping up with the vernaculars of the online gaming elite. This game has become such a part of people’s lives I hear these phrases entering everyday conversation. My ears prick up and I glance to the other side of the bar I’m drinking in. All that is required is a wry smile of acknowledgment. Inhibitions out of the window, I am in the Zone. I walk over to the potential comrade.
“What’s your gamertag?”
“RwS Bigman. You?”
“MosBeef. You on later?”
Never in a million years would I have done that to a random bloke in a bar. However, because we have that one thing in common it provides a transitory mask of unity to become allies. To protect and serve one common goal… Kill the Yanks!
They bleat. They bitch. They blame everyone else when things don’t go their way. Just like in real life! The hilarity of it precedes any professional comedy act. Modern Warfare 2 is the closest I will get to liquidating our allies from across the pond. Relish the opportunity to enjoy the game as much as I am.
Time is limited on this game because of the reality of grown up life… However, for the moments of complete captivity nothing else matters.
Put a bullet in his head…
you get an extra 100xp for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment